ShareGate gathers and displays information about the teams and groups in your tenant at regular intervals. We call this activity crawling.
An initial crawl is performed when a global admin consents ShareGate on your tenant during first sign-in.
- How long does an initial crawl take?
- How can I keep track of the progress?
- Can I start using ShareGate's features during the initial crawl?
How long does an initial crawl take?
The time it takes to complete the first crawl depends on a number of factors, including tenant size and the complexity of the teams and groups.
How can I keep track of the progress?
ShareGate crawls and displays your tenant information in batches. This means that your data is displayed as it becomes available.
There are 3 ways you can keep track of the initial crawl progress:
- From your dashboards - The message, We're currently gathering the information from your tenant to X, appears to let you know that the crawl is in progress. This message is replaced by data* when the crawl is complete.
- From the Manage page - The message, You have X new teams ready! Refresh the page to view them all, appears each time a batch of information is available. Click Refresh to update ShareGate Management.
- Manage page tiles - A tile displays a pending state (...) while the initial crawl is in progress. When the information for that tile has been collected, a value will appear in the tile.
Note: *Your dashboards may display an empty state if no data is available during the initial crawl.
Can I start using ShareGate's features during the initial crawl?
You can start exploring Management features as soon as your tenant's information becomes available. It is best practice, though, to wait until the initial crawl is complete and all your data is ready.
In the meantime, we suggest starting with the ShareGate Management quick start guide.