Collaborate with team and group owners to keep your Microsoft environment organized and secure.
The Ask owner(s) feature lets you manually send a ShareGate Teams chatbot notification to multiple team or group owners simultaneously.
- How-to ask owners
- Collaboration status
- Update your policy
- Use cases
How-to ask owners
- Select Manage from the sidebar.
- Use the radio buttons to filter between your Teams or all Groups.
- Select the tile Teams/Groups without Purpose or Teams/Groups without sensitivity.
- Check the box beside the team or group names.
- Click in the bulk action menu.
- If you have not yet activated the ShareGate Teams chatbot, you will be prompted to approve its installation now.
- In the pop-up, click Ask owner(s).
The owner(s) will be notified via our chatbot to apply a purpose tag and a sensitivity tag.
Tip: To see what notifications look like to owners, check out Take action on purpose and sensitivity. Share the article with team and group owners so they know what to expect.
- The notification is sent to team and group owners within 1-3 hours of the action.
- There is no limit to the number of tag notifications an owner can receive per day.
- An owner has 14 days total to respond to the notification. If an owner does not respond to the first notification, a reminder is sent after 7 days.
- For security, the notifications expire after 30 days.
- When a notification is sent, the team or group owner cannot be asked again until the 14 days have passed.
- If an owner does not answer, the team or group will remain without a tag until you manually set the purpose and sensitivity or send another notification.
Do not disturb list
It's possible to add specific users to the Do not disturb list to prevent them from being sent notifications.
Tip: It's best practice to have at least 2 owners for each team and group. That way there's always someone available to receive notifications and take action on your policies.
Use the collaboration status to monitor the Ask owner(s) progress from the Manage page. The tile shows the number of requests pending, while the team or group list gives updates specific to each request.
For more information, see Collaboration status.
Update your policy
Click the gear located on the tiles to go directly to the Settings, where you can update your policies as needed.
When you ask owners to apply a purpose tag and sensitivity tag, you gain insight into how the teams and groups in your Microsoft environment are being used. You can then apply the right security settings and make the best governance plans.
Use Ask owner(s) to apply tags to:
- Teams and groups created before you activated ShareGate.
- Teams and groups created before you turned on automated notifications.
- Review or revisit the business purpose and data sensitivity of teams or groups over time.
Test your collaboration flow
Use the Ask owner(s) feature to test your collaboration flow before you automate with ShareGate. For more information, see Test features before you turn on automation.
Once your process is set, select Settings > Policies from the sidebar, then toggle on Automatically ask owners.
Note: Automating the ShareGate Teams chatbot for purpose tags will also automate our chatbot for sensitivity tags, and vice versa.