Collaborate with team and group owners to keep your Microsoft environment organized and secure.
The Ask owner(s) feature lets you manually send a ShareGate Teams chatbot notification to multiple team or group owners simultaneously.
You can send a notification asking owners to apply a sensitivity tag to their teams or groups.
- How-to ask owners
- Collaboration status
- Update your settings
- Use cases
How-to ask owners
- Select Manage from the sidebar.
- Use the radio buttons to filter between your Teams or all Groups.
- Select the tile Teams/Groups without sensitivity.
- Check the box beside the team or group names.
- Click in the bulk action menu.
- If you have not yet activated the ShareGate Teams chatbot, you will be prompted to approve its installation now.
- In the pop-up, click Ask owner(s).
Note: The pop-up shows a list of the teams or groups included in your Ask owner(s) request. Since notifications can't be sent to owners already asked to take action (i.e. within the 14-day timeframe), you'll also be informed of any teams or groups in your selection who won't be receiving a notification.
The owner(s) will be notified via our chatbot to apply a sensitivity tag.
To see what notifications look like to owners, check out Take action on purpose and sensitivity. Share the article with team and group owners so they know what to expect.
- The notification is sent to team and group owners within 1-3 hours of the action.
- There is no limit to the number of tag notifications an owner can receive per day.
- An owner has 14 days total to respond to the notification. If an owner does not respond to the first notification, a reminder is sent after 7 days.
- For security, the notifications expire after 30 days.
- When a request is sent, the team or group owner cannot be asked again until the 14 days have passed.
- If an owner does not answer, the team or group will remain without a tag until you manually set the sensitivity or send another notification.
Do not disturb list
It's possible to add specific users to the Do not disturb list to prevent them from being sent notifications.
Tip: It's best practice to have at least 2 owners for each team and group. That way there's always someone available to receive notifications and take action on your policies.
Use the collaboration status to monitor the Ask owner(s) progress from the Manage page. The tile shows the number of requests pending, while the team or group list gives updates specific to each request.
For more information, see Collaboration status.
Update your settings
Click the gear on the Teams/Groups without sensitivity tile. This will bring you to the right section of the Settings so you can update your tags.
When you ask owners to apply a sensitivity tag, you gain insight into the data sensitivity of teams and groups in your Microsoft environment and are able to apply the right security settings.
Use Ask owner(s) to apply sensitivity tags to:
- Teams and groups created before you activated ShareGate.
- Teams and groups created before you turned on automated sensitivity tag notifications.
- Review or revisit the business sensitivity of teams or groups over time.
- To practice your collaboration flow with owners before automating policies with ShareGate.