As a team or group owner, you might receive an email* or ShareGate Teams chatbot notification that asks you to complete an external sharing review.
This notification is sent because your IT admin uses ShareGate to schedule reviews for external sharing links and guest access.
- How-to take action
- How long does the review last?
- What happens if there is more than 1 owner?
How-to take action
Your IT admin has the option to create the External sharing review policy and set custom reviews for sensitivity tags.
When you receive the email or ShareGate Teams chatbot notification, the notification includes:
- A list of the teams and groups in the review.
- The review timeline.
- The number of external sharing links and guests to review.
You may notice a discrepancy between the notification and the review dashboard. ShareGate is able to keep the review dashboard up-to-date with the current status of the team or group, whereas the notification represents a snapshot of items to review at the time the review starts.
The External sharing review policy
- Click Go to review dashboard (in the email) or Start external sharing review (in the chat) to begin.
- You will be taken to the external sharing review dashboard.
- If you have inactive teams or groups, your first action is to keep, delete, or archive the teams or groups shown. For more details on how to do this, check out the article Take action on inactivity.
- Click Start review.
- Review the guests listed. Click Remove to remove a guest. Click Undo if you change your mind.
- When finished reviewing guests, click Review external sharing links at the bottom of the page.
- Review the external sharing links listed. Click Delete to remove sharing links. Click Restore if you change your mind.
Note: Removing a sharing link does not remove the content from your team/group.
- When you're finished, click Complete review at the bottom of the page.
The confirmation page shows you when to expect the next review.
Your IT admin will receive notice that you have completed the review!
A custom review for a sensitivity tag
With sensitivity tags, your IT admin can understand the data sensitivity of teams and groups at a glance and apply the right policies.
The review process for a team or group with a sensitivity tag is the same as the default review process.
For more information on choosing sensitivity tags for your teams and groups, check out the article Take action on purpose and sensitivity.
Tip: Your review dashboard will remind you of the team or group sensitivity tag. For example, "It's time to review guests and external sharing links for the Confidential sensitivity tag!"
Examples of the notifications you might receive from our chatbot or in your inbox:
How long does the review last?
You have 14 days from the day the first notification is sent to perform an external sharing review. The first notification is sent at the start of the review, followed by a reminder email 7 days later if the review is not complete.
For security purposes, the links expire after 7 days.
What happens if there is more than 1 owner?
The external sharing review exists on a first-come, first-served basis. If an owner reviews a team or group, the other owners will see that the review has been completed.
If you think you or another owner made a mistake, contact your IT team so they can make the right changes.