If you try to change a security setting, a message may appear in ShareGate Management to alert you that the action cannot be completed.
This usually occurs when you try to apply ShareGate security settings---either to sensitivity tags or at the team and group level---that are less restrictive than your Microsoft settings.
In the Microsoft 365 admin center and SharePoint admin center, you can modify your organization-wide guest access settings and external sharing settings. If you have an Azure AD Premium P1 license, you can create and publish sensitivity labels from the Microsoft 365 compliance center.
If any of these settings are applied to the teams or groups in your Microsoft environment and are more restrictive than the security settings in ShareGate, the app's less restrictive sensitivity tags and security settings will be invalid.
Note: More details on the specific impacts of guest access and external sharing settings can be found in the troubleshooting articles, Guest access security setting is unavailable and External sharing security setting is unavailable.
The action you take to resolve this issue depends on the cause. You can find a summary of the solutions we suggest for each situation here:
Change your ShareGate settings
You can update ShareGate to be more restrictive and align with your Microsoft settings:
- From Policies - Modify your sensitivity tag options to be more restrictive. For more information on sensitivity tags, see Create and edit sensitivity tags.
- From the team and group details - Update an individual team or group's security settings to align with your Microsoft settings. For more information on how-to, see Apply security settings.
Change your Microsoft settings
You can update your Microsoft settings to be less restrictive so you can use ShareGate's management and security features.
For more information on how-to, consult the following Microsoft articles:
- Allow external sharing - Manage sharing settings: Change the organization-level external sharing setting.
- Allow guest access - Manage guest access in Microsoft 365 Groups: Manage groups guest access.
- Remove or reduce sensitivity labels - Use sensitivity labels to protect content in Microsoft Teams, Microsoft 365 groups, and SharePoint sites: Sensitivity label management.
You can use ShareGate's features to manage guest access and secure your environment when the update is made.
Tip: Still having trouble? Get in touch with our support team---we'll work through this together.