With the Inactivity detection policy, you can set a threshold for the amount of time a team or group can be inactive before action needs to be taken.
If a team or group has been inactive for longer than the set time period, a ShareGate Teams chatbot notification or email is automatically sent to the owner. From the notification, the owner can choose to keep, delete, or archive their inactive team or group.
Note: When you turn on the Inactivity detection policy, it applies to teams and groups that will become inactive in the future. For information on how to clean up teams and groups that are currently inactive, see Ask owners about inactivity.
- The Inactive detection policy is automated, as in step (6) below.
- Teams or groups that are inactive for longer than your defined period will become present in your tenant.
- Optional: An Azure storage account has been set up.
When you turn on your Inactivity detection policy, all teams and groups in your environment are included in ShareGate's detection. You can use purpose tags to apply custom inactivity thresholds to specific teams and groups.
Set up the Inactivity detection policy
The policy is used for all teams and groups that will become inactive in the future and that do not have a purpose tag.
To set up your policy:
- Select Setting from the sidebar.
- Select Policies.
- Expand the Inactivity detection section.
- Click in the After X days field.
- Use the up and down arrows, or enter the number of days a team or group can be inactive in your environment.
- Click anywhere outside the field to save your choice.
- Toggle on Ask owners automatically for the inactive policy.
- Use the radio buttons to set Microsoft Teams chatbot or Email as your preferred Communications method.
Create an inactivity threshold for purpose tags
Using purpose tags, you can set a custom inactivity threshold based on the business purpose of a team or group. If a team or group with a purpose tag is inactive for longer than the time you set, the owner will receive a notification to take action.
For example, a departmental group may not need its activity verified as often as a time-sensitive project that can be archived as soon as the project is finished.
To create an inactivity threshold for purpose tags, see the how-to Create and edit purpose tags.