External sharing and guest access are an excellent way to extend work to partners, suppliers, and vendors, but it's always good to be mindful of the risks associated with external sharing, such as:
- Sharing sensitive content to the wrong person.
- Sharing of content with other unintended external users.
- Changes made by external users.
- External users who no longer require access to your teams or groups.
Relationship to ShareGate
- The Microsoft external sharing setting must be set to Site content can be shared with: Anyone for external sharing links to be created in Microsoft and to be detected by ShareGate.
- The Microsoft guest access setting, Let group owners add people outside of your organization to Microsoft 365 Groups as guests, must be unchecked for ShareGate's external sharing and guest access management features to include guest reviews.
For more information, see the troubleshooting article Microsoft doesn't allow sharing links or guests.